Our ongoing support for the teachers and pre-school children, in and around Centocow, is just one of our concerns. We help to resource the pre-schools as well as funding teacher training.
In this rural area there is a strong endeavour for community growth and the empowerment of leaders, to overcome the legacy of the Apartheid Era, in which many of them have grown up.
We have been inspired by the Women’s Leadership Training Programme that empowers young teenagers and gives them opportunities for further education and leadership. These young people are on the cusp of transformation from an indigenous background to entering into the challenges of the modern South Africa operating on a western capitalist model that includes facing the problems of Climate Change, occupation and modern technology.
Training For Transformation (TFT), which was inspired by the revolutionary educational methods of Paulo Freire in Brazil, is used successfully by WLTP to enable participants to explore their own roots and relationships in the hierarchy of their society, as a basis for confronting and overcoming the new societal challenges.
Thus, some of the aims of WLTP are:
- Acknowledging and learning from indigenous traditions
- Education for sustainability
- Bringing the community together
- Community resilience
- Confronting climate change through education
We, in Devon, see many similar challenges and believe that we can benefit from the same transformational aims.
- learning through linking and partnering
- community growth and development
- understanding our own situation by learning from another community. reality and perspective